Below is a list of facts about Aluminium as a sustainable metal:
- Aluminium is the third most common element in the Earth's crust
- More than 55% of the world's primary aluminium is produced using hydroelectric power (no CO2 emissions and renewable)
- Aluminium is infinitely recyclable with no loss of quality
- Recycled aluminium requires only 5% of the energy used to produce primary aluminium
- Aluminium used in building can be recycled up to 100%
Eltherington remains committed to Sustainable Manufacturing Leadership in all areas of our business. We have ongoing investment and improvement programmes in recycling, reduction of waste and saving energy.Eltherington rainscreen cladding can achieve an A-rating if fitted in accordance with the Green Guide.
The BRE Green Guide states that: “Due to their lightweight nature, framed structures generally score better than their masonry counterparts. A-ratings can be achieved using all conventional cladding materials.”
Rainscreen Ventilated Systems - sustainability benefits
- Lightweight construction compared to masonry walls, which also requires fewer foundation materials, resulting in a building with a reduced carbon footprint
- Constant circulation of air keeps the exterior wall dry
- Thermal bridging through the wall is eliminated due to no interruptions caused by floor slabs
- Temperature fluctuations of the wall is minimised due to high levels of insulation within the structure
- Interstitial condensation is prevented as vapour pressure and wall temperature prevents this forming within the ventilated cavity
- Reduces solar gain during hot summer months
- Whole life benefit - aluminium is 100% recyclable. It can also be recycled an infinite number of times without loss of performance
These characteristics make it an ideal solution for creating a lightweight yet strong rainscreen cladding system. Eltherington makes extensive use of aluminium for both the rainscreen panels and support structure.
With the energy savings measures required by latest building performance requirements, rear ventilated cavities are gaining an ever increasing popularity with specifiers and building owners.